Thursday 12 July 2012

Aaron Walter newsletter


A few things Aarron Walter thinks you might find interesting.

On My Mind






Hi there,

Aarron Walter here, you know, that guy who said he'd email you upon occasion with updates from my blog, and info about events I'm speaking at? Well life is busy and I've been slow to really start sharing stuff in this newsletter. But here I am, writing you and hoping you'll stick around for this little experiment I'm trying.

I'm going to start sending you a few useful links every week or so, just a very few things that captured my attention. You might receive a recommendation of a book that I love, a useful app, or maybe a link to something inspiring. I know I get super excited when I find something really cool. I hope to share that feeling with you too.

If you're not so interested in this sort of thing, here's the unsubscribe link (I'll be sad to see you go). If you're still with me, here comes the good stuff ...



A Great Book

I'm reading a really great book called The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation. It's a non-fiction account of the innovation that happened at the famed Bell Labs, but the writing makes it feel like you're reading a novel. Jon Gertner is a great writer, explaining the complexities of the researcha nd design of the transistor like it wasn't a mind boggling physics, chemistry, and electrical engineering soup. I'm listening to the audio version of this book, and the narration is stellar. I'm learning a lot about how innovation happens, and hoping to apply some of these things with my team at work.


A Useful Tool

It's hard to escape the frenzy around Reponsive Design. It's on the minds of some big folks these days. I've been playing around with Responsive Design ideas too, and in my research I stumbled across a really cool little media query bookmarklet that will help you resize your browser as you test different layouts for varying screen sizes.


An Inspiring Site

Healing Histories is an amazing experiment in interactive story telling. It shares the stories from folks living in Central City, LA.

"By embracing the rich culture and understanding the diverse history of their neighborhood, the people of Central City are rebuilding from the destruction of Hurricane Katrina and creating a new future for the 2,000 children who call it home."


Shameless Plugs

I was recently interviewed on The Nonbreaking Space Podcast. I had a lot of fun talking to Christopher Schmitt and Dave McFarland about emotional design, web education, and living a meaningful life (I know, heavy, right?). I hope you'll have a listen.

Smashing Magazine just released an amazing new book called Redesign The Web. I was very fortunate to have been a co-author of this little gem. I wrote down my thoughts about this book over on my blog.

I'm going to be in Austin, TX for An Event Apart July 9-10. If you can make it, please come up and say hi! Maybe we can chat over a beer or two.


If You Liked This ...

share on Twitter  Google Plus One Button  Like What's On My Mind on Facebook
Follow on Twitter   Friend on Facebook   Forward to Friend 
Copyright © 2012 AarronWalter.com, All rights reserved.


Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp
unsubscribe from this list   update subscription preferences

Source:  http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=ac97c9129c6d84654f83eb4bc&id=faa6d8689f

Subscribe at

Source:  http://aarronwalter.com/archive-of-on-my-mind/

No comments:

Post a Comment